Do you want to be more involved with LinkedIn and social media this coming year? Or have you been on LinkedIn for a long time and you’re not getting results from it — a new job, more clients, advancing your career? And this year you want to change that? One way to do that is to write social media goals and make them as specific as you make your sales or job search goals.
When I first started using LinkedIn, I put my profile up and didn’t do anything with LinkedIn. LinkedIn and social media were not part of my New Year’s resolutions or goals. And I didn’t see any results that year. New clients didn’t come to me simply because my profile was up. Now LinkedIn and social media area large part of my life — and I’m a confirmed evangelist. I’m also well-connected, and see results from taking time to build relationships. What changed?
- I made social media a part of my goals and commitments for the year. For example, one year I wanted to expand my network and followers significantly. It wasn’t happening when I invited people to connect “when I got around to it”. Doing it that way, I added 3 or 4 connections every so often. Not a large expansion.
- Every chance I had, I looked for new and creative ways to build my network and influence. For example, I was invited to be a speaker at the Working Mother Media Leadership Summit for Social Business in Manhattan. I invited the other speakers to be part of my network, and followed them and their companies. I also started building relationships with them, and kept in touch throughout the year.
To make social media part of your goals, be specific. Decide what you want LinkedIn and social media to do for you. Think of it as if you’re hiring an assistant. What would you want him or her to do for you? For example, do you want to grow your business? Or find your next new position? Or advance your career? Or simply to have a larger network so achieving those will be easier? Here are some examples of specific social media goals:
- Grow your business: Expand my network by connecting with 25% more potential clients. Ask for 25 introductions to potential clients this year. Be active in 5 relevant LinkedIn groups.
- Job search: Expand my network by connecting with 25% more people in my industry. Ask for 25 introductions to people in my target companies this year. Be active in 5 relevant LinkedIn groups.
- Advance your career: Expand my network by connecting with 25% more influencers in my industry. Ask for 25 introductions to potential mentors this year. Be active in 5 relevant LinkedIn groups.
What about you? How do you approach social media in the coming year? I welcome your thoughts and comments.